Inlay and Onlays
Inlays and Onlays in Bournemouth
What are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and Onlays can be used as an alternative to conventional fillings to repair damaged or decayed teeth. They are usually used on back teeth and can be made in matching tooth- coloured porcelain, gold or a white filling called a composite.
Both Inlays and Onlays are made outside the mouth, in a dental laboratory, from an impression taken from the affected tooth. Once made it is bonded onto your tooth in surgery. An inlay is placed within the cavity whereas an onlay covers more of the tooth and extends over the top and builds up its edges.
Step 1 – Preparation of the tooth, which includes removing any decay or damaged
Step 2 – After the decay and damage has been removed, we will take an impression of your teeth and sent to the laboratory to make a bespoke, custom made inlay or onlay to fit your tooth.
Step 3 – A temporary restoration is placed on the tooth until the inlay or onlay has been made to protect it.
Step 4 – Once ready, the inlay or onlay are checked to ensure a correct fit before it is bonded to the tooth with a strong dental adhesive. Anthony will then make small adjustments so that the tooth is comfortable to bite on.
What are the benefits?
- Inlays and Onlays are tailored to fit.
- They are very strong and last longer than fillings.
- Withstand stronger chewing surfaces of back teeth and large repairs to front teeth, where it is difficult to make white fillings look natural.
- They can be easier to clean than other restorations.
- If looked after carefully, with effective cleaning and regular check-ups, inlays and onlays can last for years.