Beechwood Dental Staff Welcome All Patients
Beechwood Dental, Bournemouth are supporting National Smile Month which takes place between May 15th to June 15th this year. This campaign was created 40 years ago and its goal is to improve people’s oral health. It focuses on raising awareness of important oral health issues and aims to make positive changes to millions of people. National Smile Month highlights three key messages:
- Brush your teeth before going to sleep and at least one other time during the day with a fluoride containing toothpaste,
- Cut down the frequency of sugary foods and drinks.
- Visit the dentist regularly as recommended
All the staff at Beechwood Dental, Bournemouth have been educating patients on how to maintain a healthy mouth.
Caring For Your Mouth During National Smile Month
- Brush your teeth last thing at night and at least one other time during the day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean in between your teeth at least once a day using interdental brushes or floss.
- To check if you have bad breath lick your wrist, let it dry and give it a sniff, if it smells your breath probably does too.
- If you use mouthwash don’t use it directly after brushing as you rinse away the fluoride from your toothpaste.
- Quit smoking to help reduce the chances of tooth staining, gum disease, tooth loss, and in more severe cases mouth cancer.
- Make sure your toothpaste contains fluoride; it helps strengthen tooth enamel making it more resistant to decay.
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months or sooner if it becomes worn as it will not clean the teeth properly.
Visiting our Dentist During National Smile Month
- Visit our dentist Anthony regularly, or as often as he recommends.
- If you are nervous about visiting our dentist, make sure he is aware of why so he can improve your treatment and experience
- Help overcome dental anxiety by bringing a friend with you for support or listen to music to help you relax and focus on something else.
- Anthony Inman, our dentist will carry out a visual mouth cancer check during your regular check-up.
- Visiting our dental hygienists (Kate and Kayley) can help as they can give you excellent tips and advice on preventing dental problems.
Diet And Your Oral Health During National Smile Month
- Chew sugar-free gum after eating or drinking, especially sugary foods, to help protect your teeth and gums in between meals.
- Wait an hour after eating or drinking anything before brushing as then enamel will be softened and you could be brushing away tiny particles.
- A varied diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fresh fruit and vegetables can help to prevent gum disease.
- Finishing a meal with a cube of cheese is a great, and tasty way to reduce the effect of acids from the foods damaging your teeth.
- Avoid snacking and try to only have sugary foods and drinks at mealtimes, reducing the time your teeth come under attack.
- If you have a sweet tooth try to choose sugar free sweets and drinks which contain xylitol as it can actively contribute to your oral health.
Children’s Oral Health During National Smile Month
- Weaning your baby off the bottle early can help them avoid developing dental problems
- All children up to three years old, should use a smear of toothpaste with a fluoride level of no less than 1000ppm (parts per million). After three years old, they should use a toothpaste that contains 1350ppm -1500ppm.
- Parents should try and supervise your children’s tooth brushing until they are about 7 years old.
- Take your child to the dentist early, as soon as their teeth start to appear This will help them get used to the sights, sounds and smells of a dental practice.
- A timer or brush a long to a song helps to ensure that your children are brushing for the correct amount of time.
- Use a reward chart to track your children’s brushing habits and get them actively involved in brushing their teeth.
- Disclosing tablets show areas of your children’s mouth which may need better brushing.
At Beechwood Dental, our patients visit Anthony, the dentist and hygienists regularly. They are educated how to have good oral hygiene habits. The result of this is we see fewer patients in pain, needing filings or extractions. Thereby helping reduce dental costs. This can only be a good thing for all our patients! So don’t just come and visit us during National Smile, you need to look after your teeth throughout the year!
If you are interested in joining our Dental Practice either ring 01202 397074 and talk to Haze or Rebecca. You can contact us at http://www.beechwooddental.co.uk .
#smilemonth #beechwooddentalsmiles #healthysmiles #nationalsmilemonth